Still small but no longer a backyard hobby, your brewery is taking shape as a real business. You’re starting to employ people, your micro brewery is now a destination with tours, tastings and serving food. 

You’re also travelling around the region, showcasing your craft beers at festivals and events, trying to get your beers ranged in a few more shops. Life is still hectic and there is a lot still to learn.

One of the biggest issues is quite how many obligations, responsibilities and risks you are exposed to.

You must have

  • Property & Asset Insurance

    This covers all the stuff you need to make beer – tanks, pumps, mash urns, electrical equipment – and includes the buildings, contents and stock* in case certain events happen.

    These include fire, storms, malicious damage, explosions, earthquake, wind, and leakage of liquids, including water. 

    Any one of those events could be enough to stop the business. Which would be devastating.
    * Including customers & supplier’s goods.

  • Public & Products Liability Insurance

    If members of the public come onto your business premises, then you must have this. Whether it’s brewery tours, your own taproom, bar area, or suppliers coming onto the site, your business is exposed.

    During daily business activities, accidents and mistakes can happen. If they cause injury, losses or damage your business is potentially liable. 

    Public Liability insurance protects your business for any such events, including injury to other people, or their property.

    Products Liability covers you if your products injure or damage a third party. You are responsible at law – and need protection.

  • Workers Compensation Insurance

    The moment you employ people you must have Workers Compensation Insurance. It’s compulsory and a legal requirement for anyone the legislation deems is a “worker”. It protects employers from financial costs when a worker sustains a work-related injury or disease. 

    Western Australia, Northern Territory, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania are all underwritten direct by insurers. Victoria is managed by Worksafe and underwritten by insurers, and New SouthWales and Queensland are underwritten by the State Governments. We can assist you to organise this insurance for your business.

And need to consider

  • Commercial Vehicle Insurance

    Your vehicles are an essential tool of the trade. Visiting suppliers, distributors, customers or simply carting supplies and brewing equipment around.

    Commercial Vehicle Insurance covers your business for any damages to the vehicles you use or any damages they cause to people or property.

  • Business Travel Insurance

    You are travelling in a work capacity. Showcasing your beers at events and tastings, attending brewery and business conferences.

    Corporate Travel insurance covers employees against any mishaps: from illness & injury, missed connections and lost or damaged goods, just to name a few. 

Get protected and be free to focus on the important stuff

Free Risk Audit

  • Uncover the risks and liabilities hidden in your business
  • Expert advice on how to mitigate the risks
  • Proactive plans you can implement

They know who we are, they know our industry.

The best thing is the direct contact with their staff. They know who we are, they know our business, they know what policies we have in place. It's very easy to do business with them. 

They've got a good handle on the industry which matters. They identify areas of risk and when we have claims they'll work through which policy to claim under, which is going to make the most sense for us.
There’s always someone on the phone if we need help. I feel confident they’re on top of everything and we've got appropriate coverage in place.

Chris Pensabene, CFO, Stone & Wood Brewery
stone and wood logo